Burglary Prevention Reminder
A friendly reminder about burglary prevention tips for our city residents. We’ve been seeing numerous incidents citywide where the criminals gained entry to homes by pushing in window air conditioning units and climbing inside – even into second-story windows.
- Please make sure to lock your doors and windows when you leave your residence, even if it is just for a short time, to prevent burglars from entering.
- Remember to lock and secure any second floor windows and doors, as well.
- Explore installing sturdy deadbolts on all exterior doors.
- If you have an air conditioning window unit make sure it is secured so that it cannot be pushed inside of your residence from the outside. Please remember to take these air conditioning window units out of your windows as the weather turns cooler so you can lock and secure these windows.
- Do not place valuables where they will be visible from your doors or windows.
- Make sure you increase occupancy indicators (e.g., increase exterior and/or interior lights, leave your radio or TV on, etc.).
Please share this information with your neighbors. If you have any additional questions about target hardening your residence please contact your local police district and ask for the Community Liaison Officer. Your local police district also can help set up a Block Watch in your neighborhood or help you reinvigorate an existing, but dormant, group.
As always, please call the Milwaukee Police non-emergency number at 933-4444 if you notice any suspicious activity in your neighborhood.